The taxman has revealed the top excuses it received from taxpayers for filing their tax returns late. From hungry rodents to broken washing machines, HMRC has published some interesting excuses that were all used in appeals against penalties. The excuses that hit the top ten list were:
1) My tax papers were left in the shed and a rat ate them.
2) I’m not a paperwork person; my sister always sorted out my tax return but now we’ve fallen out.
3) My accountant hasn’t been well.
4) My dog ate my tax return.
5) I’ll be abroad on deadline day with no internet access so won’t be able to file my tax return.
6) My washing machine broke.
7) My niece moved in, she made the house such a mess that I couldn’t find my login details to complete my tax return online.
8) My husband ran over my laptop.
9) I had a cold which took a long time to go.
10) I had an argument with my wife and went abroad for five years.
Needless to say, none of these excuses convinced the taxman to cancel their late filing penalties, but did give them a few laughs.